Sunday

Be a backyard scientist



science in the backyard for preschoolersWhy is this so? is one of the main questions asked by scientists.

Backyard science is science in the real world where children can look for clues, ask these kind of questions and find answers. Children can become scientists in their own backyard using their natural curiosity, their senses and simple equipment to make discoveries.

QUOTE:
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science."  
Edwin Powell Hubble, The Nature of Science, 1954

ACTIVITIES and how to set them up:
EQUIPMENT you may find useful:
- a magnifying glass - a large one is best and a plastic one is great for very young children.
- mostly things you will have around the house like a plastic bucket, string, paper, lettuce (for tadpoles) and garden like sticks and rocks (for the sundial)...

BOOKS about science for young children:
Original Backyard Scientist: Experiments That Kids Can Perform Using Things Around the House Ages 4-12 by Jane Hoffman
Backyard Science: Over 50 Experiments for a Budding Backyard Scientist by Chris Maynard
I'm a Scientist: Backyard by Lisa Burke
Air Is All Around You by Franklyn M. Branley has easy activities to do with your child.

LINKED UP AT:

Homeschool Science Share & Tell – May 2014 

 


PHOTO THANKS TO Friedrich Böhringer

9 comments:

  1. I love the idea of science in the garden. It reminds me of when I was young and making miniature gardens and worm homes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and any outdoor area can be a learning environment

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for adding this to the outdoor play link-up. Sometimes I think people don't realise all the science that is going on when children are outside so thanks for this post, Kierna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! There are so many opportunities for children to explore and engage with science within their own backyard. So important to get our children out there and away from the grip of technology. Karen (Flights of Whimsy)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing at the Outdoor Play Party! Great round up you have here! I love that your ideas are simple to execute, but provide a real opportunity for teaching and learning in your own back yard. I can't wait to make a sundial with the Hooligans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for sharing great ideas for facilitating children's learning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article about getting kids outdoors and intrigued in nature.
    I'll make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I'll definitely return.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    These are great ideas! Especially learning about biology with worms. Would you be interested in a guest post? Some ideas I have are outdoor science activities, tips for throwing an astronaut party, and bubble activities to do this summer.

    If you are interested, please email me at ryan (at) adamriemer (dot) me.

    Thank you, and I hope we can find a way to work together,

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ηelpful info. Lucky me I founԁ your web sitе by chance, and
    I'm ѕtunned whу thіs twiѕt of fаte didn't toоk place eaгliег!
    I bοokmarked іt. Love all outdoor activities. my blog is about cycling

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...